North Sydney Boys Study Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Study Forum for NSB's Class of 2010

2 posters

BELONGING THESES

cbiwhite

BELONGING THESES Empty BELONGING THESES

Post  cbiwhite Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Now, I know these are your own work, and that you don't want somebody simply nicking your thesis, but it could be helpful to post up your belogning analytical theses simply so that others can
    a) marvel in your glorious intelligence
    b) develop their own with greater depth
    c) tell you that you have a stupid idea, although you think it's good. (this is more important than it sounds, and gives you a chance to review your concepts.)

Mine's compicated and I'd really appreciate your input:

In times of personal hardship/isolation, a person's need to belong in order to maintain stability in how they fit in society and what they consider their personal identity and self is increased roughly proportionally to the toughness of the hardship endured.
    Notably this hardship involves isolation due to a change in place, society, social stanging etc, which would put one in an unfamiliar scenario.
    Ones personal identity in times like these becomes fluid, willing to change to fit a type which will belong easist to the intended group, and hence maintain stability through the support of these people.
    However: One's personal identity and perception of how he/she should belong in society cannot forever be suppressed, so these will re-attain theri former priority in the psyche when the person has formed social stability and hence the hardship is reduced.

For: Skzrynecki, The Arrival, Europa Europa (Hitlerjunge Salomon).
    Nick Collins-Craft

BELONGING THESES Empty Re: BELONGING THESES

Post  Nick Collins-Craft Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Charles, some changes I would suggest with yours:
    The phrase "is increased roughly proportionally to the toughness of the hardship endured" doesn't really add anything. Possibly you could change it to something along the lines of
    "When one experiences isolation due to a change in place, society or culture, a person feels the need to belong to groups/ideas/birth culture etc that allow them to obtain a sense of stability. However, this may entail a suppression of individuality, and ultimately this will re-emerge(possibly bringing them into conflict with whatever it is they belonged to?"
    I hope I haven't missed the ideas here, but I think that might be a bit tighter and punchier while still getting your point across.

As far as my theses go, I am reluctant to have any fixed ones as they may conflict with the question, but I'm attracted to the idea of needing to have multiple belongings to achieve contentment and define identity.